Solve unique problems
Our teams are solving some of the hardest technical challenges in the world of online grocery. Here are only a few examples:
- Safety: Ensuring the highest levels of user safety by developing a wireless safety system capable of disabling thousands of robots to a SIL 3 safety performance level
- Tolerances: Achieving sub-millimeter manufacturing and install tolerances across large mechanical structures spanning the scale of several football pitches and the height of a two-storey house
- Accuracy: Achieving high positional accuracy and reputability for a complex motion control application with variable load and running conditions
- Integration: Prototyping the world's first bagging machine and integrating it in a warehouse environment
- Systems: Understanding how parts of the system respond to seismic activity
- Structures: Designing and understanding how a structure the the size of four football pitches responds to its environment whilst it supports the motion of thousands of devices that rely on precise positioning systems.
- Solutions: Modelling and designing the solution to ensure uniform temperatures throughout a dense storage hive
- Issues: Responding to, diagnosing and repairing any equipment breakdowns or issues in less than 15 minutes without the operation noticing
- Operational: Keeping the world's most automated grocery warehouses running smoothly 24/7, 365 days a year
Discover our great culture
Ocado’s value system is based on four simple yet very powerful principles. Here’s how we apply them in Ocado Engineering to build a culture that is both innovative and inclusive.
We're in it together – we believe teamwork and collaboration are essential to creating the best solutions. We value those who are happy to listen, to share knowledge, and to pitch in when support is needed.
Value each person – every employee has something valuable to contribute. This means it’s not just important to listen to their experience, but also to what makes them happy and productive each day.
Love what we do – there’s no such thing as resting on your laurels at Ocado Engineering. Our work is driven by the need to constantly innovate, so our engineers need to love the challenges that are thrown their way.
We can be even better – because our whole business is built on being ahead of our competitors, from the services we offer to the cutting-edge ways we deliver them, self-improvement is not just encouraged, it’s vital.
- 15% Ocado.com discount + free deliveries
- Discounts on Fetch, Sizzle and Fabled
- Discount at local retailers, gyms and theme parks etc
- Interest-free season ticket loan for the train
- Free shuttle to and from the station
- Share plans such as 'buy as you earn'
- 23 days annual leave (before bank holidays) increasing to 25 after 3 years of service
- Life assurance, private medical insurance and generous pension schemes